9/9/17: Saturday morning was a perfect fall morning to kick off the 2017 Cross Country Season. Without missing a step, the Prattville girls cross country team proved they have their sights set on returning to STATES with their 2nd place finish in the Opelika XC Invitational. The Prattville boys cross country team also had a solid showing with their 3rd place finish.
The Lady Lions competed among 114 runners from 12 teams. The fastest time was 19:49 from Auburn. Auburn placed 1st with a perfect score of 15 pts** with Prattville coming in 2nd with 73 pts. In her high school debut, freshman Elizabeth Allen led the Lady Lion team to earn the 2nd place trophy. Both Elizabeth Allen and junior Sophia Loy were honored for their TOP 10 finishes and received commemorative T-shirts. The team scored** as follows:
- Elizabeth Allen (Fr.) – 22:23, 9th overall, 8 pts
- Sophia Loy (Jr.) – 22:47, 10th overall, 9 pts
- Catherine Ragsdale (7th Grade) – 22:53, 12th overall, 11 pts
- Sarah Holston (So.) – 24:53, 36th overall, 22 pts
- Susan Short (Sr.) – 25:10, 40th overall, 23 pts
- Katlyn Gappa (Jr.) – 25:23, 41st overall, 24 ph
- Kaylee Wesolowski (Jr.) 25:41, 45th overall, 26 ph
Also, congratulations to Senior Sydni Fuqua for running a new personal record (PR).
The Lions competed among 174 runners from 13 teams. The fastest time was 17:01 from Trinity. Auburn placed 1st with a score of 45 pts**, Trinity placed 2nd with 47pts, and Prattville came in 3rd with 111 pts. Senior Wesley Domsalla had a standout performance as he placed 8th overall and was honored with a TOP 10 commemorative T-shirt . The team scored** as follows:
- Wesley Domsall (Sr.) – 17:52, 8th overall, 8 pts
- Ryan Holtzscher (Jr.) – 18:47, 17th overall, 17 pts
- Gabe Rissman (Fr.) – 19:09, 21st overall, 21 pts
- Nathan Gillespie (Sr.) – 19:26, 30th overall, 29 pts
- Chris Jones (Jr.) – 19:50, 40th overall, 36 pts
- Tyler Cox (Jr.) – 19:57, 43rd overall, 39 ph
- Daniel Word(Sr.) 20:26, 54th overall, 44 ph
Also, congratulations to Sophomore Wolfe Dudle for running a new personal record (PR).
The teams will run next Saturday at the St.Claire County Invitational in Odenville. Girls’ race time is 9:15am. Boys’ race time is 10:25am.
Quote from Coach Arkle: “Prattville High School Cross Country lost a lot of senior leadership and talent last year. We found out a lot about our team this year and I’m extremely proud of the way this team has worked and for the new leadership that has stepped up! Our girls competed hard, taking 2nd overall! I see them getting even better during the course of this season! Our guys ran hard. They faced some stiff competition, but I was pleased with what they showed. Getting their first race under their belt I think they’ll use this experience to build on and I’m excited for next week!”
Check out our photo gallery courtesy of Nona Short: Opelika Photo Gallery
** Team score = Team’s top 5 finishers’ places added together (Perfect score of 15 = 1+2+3+4+5) The 6th & 7th finishers do not score but are place holders (ph) which adds to opposing teams score. All other team finishers do not get scored and do not count as place holders.